I performed my poems whilst the images (photos taken by me) were projected onto a large screen.
The performance, which also included musical interludes, lasted an hour – which I was very pleased about, as that’s how long it was supposed to last, only as we’d never had a full run-through before, I wasn’t sure how accurate my guestimate was actually going to turn out to be…
After all the preparations for the event, it was very gratifying to hear the first chortlings from the audience when I started the ‘Dung fly’ poem, chortlings which continued on and off throughout the performance.
I was also very pleased that the identity of the mystery insects in our garden (see my October 28th post) had been confirmed just 2 days earlier by the Royal Horticultural Society in Wisley. That meant I was able to include my Berberis sawfly poem and photo in the performance – and to let everyone know they were looking at a first ever recorded sighting of said sawfly larvae in Yorkshire!
The icing on the cake came in the form of insect-shaped cookies that Marta had baked specially, which we all feasted on afterwards.
Without Adrian’s technical assistance with projector, screen (and string), there would have been no images for anyone to see; and without Margaret’s initial invitation to perform and her subsequent inspiration, I would not have created the show I did. I thank them both enormously for their enthusiasm and commitment to this project.
And I thank all those who came along and were so lavish in their praise at the end – and so keen to buy ‘the book’ and ‘the DVD’ – even though neither exist yet!
Special thanks to Anna, too, who presented me with a bouquet in celebration of my première!
Here’s to more performances to come … (And to ‘the book’ and ‘the DVD’!)